Summer Reading 2011
• Read two or more books over the summer break
• Fill out the handout (linked above) for proof of your reading (fill out a handout for EACH BOOK READ)
• Those who turn in TWO completed handouts will be eligible for an ice cream reward
Welcome to the Summer Reading program for students entering grades 7 and 8.
Our summer reading program is designed to help our students understand the following:
• Reading can be an enjoyable pastime.
• People read for pleasure, not just to acquire information.
• Reading is a skill that improves with practice.
• Reading can be a family activity; families in which parents read inspire children to read.
• Reading is fundamental in providing a solid basis for academic achievement.
The chief feature of the program is the choice it offers students. Past programs told students which titles to read for their independent reading. The present program suggests a wide variety of authors whose works students should be encouraged to investigate. Authors are listed on this website by genre , reading level , and also alphabetically . Any Nutmeg, Newbery, Printz, ALEX, Coretta Scott King Medal winner or Honor book on your appropriate reading level may also be read. Those links are listed on the Recommended Books page. To help students who would like more specific suggestions, there is series of "top ten" lists of favorite titles, organized by genre, with a brief summary of each book.